A nutritionist found: a slice of pizza for breakfast is healthier than a bowl of cereals
It is safe to say that today pizza has conquered the whole world. From a simple food for the poor, it has become a favorite of millions and has become one of the symbols of Italian cuisine.
It is safe to say that today pizza has conquered the whole world. From a simple food for the poor, it has become a favorite of millions and has become one of the symbols of Italian cuisine. With the spread of fast food, pizza has gained a reputation as a dish in which there is only harm and not a single gram of benefit. Let's see if this is actually the case. After all, Italians have been eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for many centuries and feel great.
Benefit and harm
An ideal pizza is a balanced product that contains sufficient amounts of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.
5 reasons why you should eat it:
- Due to the high content of cheese, one medium piece contains about 12 g of protein. And this is a building material for our body and a source of essential amino acids. According to scientists, an adult is required to consume daily from 58 to 117 g of protein (depending on gender and age). 50% of this protein must be of animal origin.
- Do not forget that cheese is a source of calcium.
- Almost all recipes include tomatoes or tomato sauce. And this is a source of pectin, vitamins (ascorbic and folic acid, B vitamins) and organic acids. The carotenoid lycopene, which gives tomatoes a brown-red color, is a powerful antioxidant, slows down the development of atherosclerosis, and is used in the prevention of cancer. Moreover, during the heat treatment of tomatoes, the concentration of lycopene in the final product increases.
- Are there healthy fatty acids in the dish? Certainly. Indeed, the composition of the dough and the filling includes olive oil, a source of oleic acid. The use of olive oil reduces the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases and the level of "bad" cholesterol.
- Filling with sea fish and seafood is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids.
But not everything is so rosy. Remember that eating too much pizza can lead to health problems:
- If the filling contains a lot of smoked meats and fatty meat, people with digestive problems and a diseased liver should refuse this snack option.
- Often, frozen ready-made pizzas and those served in fast food establishments have a salt content exceeded. Regular consumption of such products negatively affects the cardiovascular system, contributes to the development of hypertension.
- Most convenience foods sold in the store contain artificial additives and preservatives that extend shelf life, trans fats, and flavor enhancers.
Research by an American Dietitian
Elmer Chelsea, a nutritionist from the United States, shared the results of her research with the Independent magazine. She compared one slice of pizza and a bowl of cereal. The calorie content of both dishes is the same, but the composition is significantly different.
Corn flakes, which are traditionally eaten for breakfast in America, are very high in carbohydrates. They contain so much sugar that one serving contains more than 50% of the daily value of an adult. Eating this amount of sugar every day leads to excess weight and other health problems.
Unlike cereal, pizza is high in healthy proteins and fats. It is more satisfying, satisfies hunger well and gives the body the necessary energy. From this comparison, the nutritionist concludes that such a breakfast is healthier than the usual cereal. Here Chesley Elmer clarifies that we are talking about only a single piece. If you eat the whole circle in the morning, there will be little benefit in this.
According to another American study, obesity in children and adolescents is associated with the frequent consumption of pizza. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that children view it as a snack between main meals. University of Illinois scientists calculated that on days when teenagers ate pizza, they consumed 230 calories and 484 milligrams more sodium than their regular diet.
More tips to make your meal healthier
Pizza is a great way to fight depression and bad mood. According to scientists, it has a positive effect on the human nervous system and can even compete with chocolate in this parameter. Here are a few ways to make it more useful:
- To reduce your calorie intake, choose thin dough.
- If you are preparing a dish at home, give up smoked meats and processed meats. It is better to take chicken or fresh beef.
- Use more fresh vegetables and herbs. Remember that traditional recipes only contain tomato sauce and cheese. Experiment. Stir in spinach, kale, or frisee lettuce.
- The dough will be healthier if it uses whole grain instead of regular flour. Compared to a simple tortilla, whole grains contain more fiber and fewer carbohydrates.
- Choose a base sauce with a low sugar content.
- Make the pieces smaller.
- When choosing a ready-made dish, pay attention to the presence of harmful artificial additives and preservatives in the composition.